I started making this really yummy full meal paratha dish out of my baby’s khichdi and my little one loved it. And what I loved about was that it was a full-nutritious meal by itself and so easy to make and of course, I could use up the leftover khichdi!!
Well, I don’t like to keep baby food overnight, so normally when I make khichdi for lunch and I have some leftover, I convert it into the paratha dough (I’ll get to the recipe in a bit) and refrigerate it till dinner and it stays fresh. The paratha is easy to make, really yummy and very nutritious.
My khichdi normally contains any one type of dal and rice in a 1:3 proportion and a few vegetables and is not very watery. However you can use any type of khichdi to make this paratha. Only if the khichdi is very watery, then you need to dry-off the excess water by leaving in on the fire for a few minutes, stirring continuously.
Here’s the recipe:
Instant Khichdi Paratha
2 tbsp khichdi (thick consistency)
2 tbsp wheat-flour
1 tsp finely chopped coriander leaves
¼ tsp cumin powder
½ tsp organic jaggery (optional)
¼ tsp salt to taste (avoid if your child is below 1 year of age )
2 tsp ghee
1. Grind the khichdi in a blender to a smooth paste.
2. Transfer it into a plate and add all the ingredients along with half the mentioned quantity of ghee.
3. Knead a soft dough of this mixture. In most cases, you will not need to add any water as the khichdi will help you bind the dough.
4. Apply a bit of ghee on the dough and let it rest in the fridge till dinner-time.
5. Roll the dough into a round paratha using a bit of dry wheat-flour.
6. Heat a tawa and drizzle some ghee.
7. Place a paratha on hot tawa.
8. Spread some ghee all over and cook on medium high flame.
9. Cook from both the sides until the paratha turns crisp and golden brown.
10. The paratha can be served with yogurt. It’s a super healthy full meal as it contains a mix of wheat, rice, dal and vegetables!!
Would appreciate feedback on the recipe or any improvisations!