Your meal outings with your kids can be a fun packed tour, one that you will start looking forward to doing more often. Restaurants with just the right ambience, a perfect set up and desirable kiddie options on the menu will do the trick. All we need to do is pick wisely.
Being a mother myself, I know of the apprehensions haunting parents regarding dining out with their kids. But if you just take a little time out and pre-plan the meal place with your precious one, I’m sure you would want to do it more than once.
There are certain criteria that every mom would be looking at, while picking a restaurant, not really exhaustive but, certainly significant. For instance, my list would be
1. Hygienically prepared food – tops the list, as kid’s health is paramount.
2. Healthy or maybe sometimes indulgent choices on the menu.
3. Flexible enough to tweak spice levels or offer totally bland food too, as per demand.
4. Friendly and accommodating staff.
5. Kid friendly ambience or sometimes having interesting props and games for kids to keep them occupied and interested in meals.
6. Less cluttered places with unnecessary floor/wall artifacts/furniture to allow toddlers to play about.
7. Places with a difference – one giving them new exposures viz. book cafes, garden restaurants, puzzles etc.
8. Clean toilets
So here is a modest list of restaurants according to varied needs and moods.
Restaurants serving Breads/Pizzas/Nachos/other cheesy stuff
Cheesy stuff being an all time favorite with kids you have pretty much a sea of places to go, to name a few-
1. Flags (Western Suburbs)
2. Oven Fresh (Dadar, Shivaji Park)
3. Between Breads (Bandra West)
4. Spaghetti Kitchen(Phoenix Mills Compound/Bandra West)
5. Bombay Blues(Across the city)
6. California Pizza Kitchen (Suburbs/SoBo)
7. Quatro (Lower Parel)
Indian and Multi-cuisine
For kids who love to explore with whatever the elders eat and also some Indian food places:
1. Cream Centre (Across the city)
2. Grasshopper (Vile Parle)
3. Flamboyant (Cuffe Parade)
4. Copper Chimney (Suburbs and Southwards)
5. Barbeque Nation (Andheri, Sakinaka and Bandra West)
6. Global Fusion (Andheri and Bandra West)
1. Prego at The Westin (Goregaon West)
2. The Square at Novotel (Juhu)
3. Mezzo Mezzo at J W Marriott (Juhu)
4. Thai Pavilion at Taj President
5. Peshawari at ITC Maratha Sheraton
6. High Tide at The Resort (Aksa Beach, Malad)
The life saver, South Indian food
The very sight of a Dosa, more so a cheesy one, can stop a kid from crying or throwing tantrums and give her a sudden urge, to indulge all her 5 senses into just eating.
1. Banana Leaf (Western Suburbs)
2. Dakshinayan (Juhu &Walkeshwar)
3. Madras Cafe (Central Matunga) – The reason I’m suggesting Madras Café, is for their, oh so grounded and authentic taste, when it comes to Idlis n Dosas
4. Shiv Sagar (Juhu, Churchgate)
Places with a difference
These restaurants offer more than just food, for the all round satiety of your young one.
1. Any good club you are a member of. The main advantage of dining in your club is you can plan an entire day of picnic there for your bored kid.
2. Any of the four restaurants at The Resort (Aksa Beach, Malad)
3. Sai Palace Hotel and Gardens (Mira Road)
4. China Bistro (Worli)
5. Moshe’s (Cuffe Parade and Palladium at Lower Parel)
6. Pizza Metro Pizza (Bandra and Kemps Corner)-Kids can make their own pizza
Would appreciate more suggestions in the comment box below!!
Deepali Sanghavi is a mother of a 5 year old daughter. She has a Diploma in Textile and Fashion Designing and is an Executive Director of a family-run Export House. She loves writing and anything that taxes her mind creatively. You can write to her at firstname.lastname@example.org