Aren’t there just a million things we consider when we introduce our kids to technology? Personally, I am always wondering, how much of technology should I expose my 3-year old to, and more importantly what type. The inappropriate content streaming online always seems to have me at guard when my child is fiddling my phone or I-pad.
The Lenovo CG Slate is almost a near perfect solution to this problem, with the content being regulated and more importantly well selected for the age group of 3-12 years. It is an educational tablet (at a pretty affordable price, I would say) for children with its 3 main features of ‘Learn, Play and Shop’. The CG Slate has been created by ConveGenius is an ed-tech company committed to offering mobile solutions for an enhanced quality of education in India.
Some interesting facts and features!!
- The content on the tab is aligned to school curriculums but is in the form of videos, books, games and worksheets and hence a great balance between what we like our kids to be exposed to as parents and what keeps the kids entertained and learning at the same time.
- They have almost 1500 modules which adhere to National Curriculum Framework pre-loaded on the 32 GB SD card which again eliminates the need for wifi and hence most convenient and economical when on-the-move!! They have an animated character ‘Titu who is your class monitor, guide and friend!!
- One of the most interesting features about the CG Slate is that it makes the child earn their time in the play-zone only depending on the time spent by them in the learn-zone. The idea of the CG-Slate is to make learning fun and hence the content uses simulation, real life experiences and interactive books. Although it is not a gaming platform, they have used the rules of games, which are achievement-based as well as based on real-life experiences to make learning fun.
- The same concept is reinforced through several mediums for example ‘alphabets’; which are taught through interactive classroom sessions, quizzes, songs and stories. Even concepts of phonics are incorporated to give the modern education edge. What’s interesting is that even though the child is in the ‘learn-zone’ he is going to feel like it is his playtime but shall be learning nevertheless.
- From a parent point of view, you can’t expect more and the device is geared to send detailed learning reports of the child through emails giving granular details of what the child has learnt through performance evaluation, chapters and topics studied, time spent on a particular topic and other such parameters. Also it is reasonably fool-proof in terms of advanced parental control with separate pins for parents and children and hence only-age appropriate content is accessible to the child.
To know more about the CG Slate, here is the link to the explaner video
Why we loved it!!
I normally allow my little one 30 minutes of gadget time/day which I replaced with the CG Slate. She was quite excited to have her own tab and operated it seamlessly and navigated herself comfortably though the content. As against the normal nursery rhymes and songs that she watches on you-tube , she was quite happy to listen to stories and browse through the other content. Several interesting concepts of Maths, EVS, Language etc are introduced and explained in an interesting manner. It’s obviously a big benefit when your child thinks it’s his play-hour but is actually learning.
The other benefit with the content being suited to our Indian educational needs is that the accent of the interactive content is more relatable. What I liked best about the tab is its offline usability since wifi access is normally always an issue when on the move.
The issue that one faces with gadgets is that although we can keep our kids captivated, it’s always a pain getting them off it.
‘Titu’ is the key highlight of the product as along with the tab comes a set of Titu goodies which include:
-A coaster set (4 pieces)
-A Titu Fridge Magnet
-A Titu Key Chain
-Titu Name Slips
-A 3D Titu DIY Figurine
A Must Buy!!
The CG Slate is a well-priced product at Rs8499and is exclusively available on Flipkart. In fact the first 1000 customers for the product are being given a discount of 12%!